How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
If you need to disable Windows Defender protection in Windows 10 for some reason, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s how to turn it off in just a few steps.
Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus for windows 10 and later, which is factory-enabled in the operating system. In most cases, it’s best to keep it active to protect your computer.
But sometimes you might want to disable Windows Antivirus, either it is interfering with some of your apps or you just prefer to try another Antivirus which gives you better results. In any case, in this article we will tell you How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10, in very few steps.
You can temporarily disable Windows Defender
We have already told you that Windows Defender slows down your PC’s performance, so you can turn it off for a short time. To do this, you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Open the menu of windows settings from the Start menu or by simultaneously pressing the keys win + i
- Once there, select the option Update and security.
- On the left side, click Windows security. This will open the application of the same name, where Windows Defender resides.
- In the app, select Protection against viruses and threats to open the antivirus module.
- Under Virus & threat protection settings, click Manage settings.
- On the next page, disable the slider to real-time protection, which is the main protection service of Windows Defender.
- This will require you to accept a notice of UAC (User Account Control), so make sure you are an administrator inside your computer.
- Once you do, the protection will remain disabled “for a short time” until the next scheduled scan or when you restart your device.
You can also disable Windows Defender by installing another antivirus
Although Microsoft Defender is the default antivirus in Windows 10, it is far from the only option available. There are plenty of other Windows 10 antivirus alternatives on the market that do a similar job, and sometimes even better.
If you prefer to use one of these software, simply install it and Windows Defender will shut down on its own once the new antivirus is configured. When you have confirmed that the new antivirus is working properly, restart your computer to make sure it is working properly. To dispel any doubts, you can also try the following:
- Open the menu of windows settings on your computer.
- then go to Update and security.
- click on window security in the left panel.
- Now click on the gear Setting at the bottom of the left sidebar.
- On the Settings page, you will see the section security providers.
- Click here Manage Suppliers to view all available security applications installed on your computer.
- In this section you should see the name of the third-party anti-virus you are using and you can confirm that it is activated.
- Moreover, if everything worked correctly, you will be able to realize that Windows Defender is disabled.
As we mentioned earlier, you should only turn off Windows Defender if you really need it for a specific reason. Usually, our recommendation is to continue using Microsoft antivirus, because it’s pretty solid software and won’t push you to pay for a premium version, nor does it include a bunch of sterile features that you don’t need at all.