How to install Java on Windows 11
- Installing Java Windows 11 is incredibly easy with just a few simple steps.
- Java is an important component because you will need it to run a number of applications on your device.
- There are several versions of the program, so you will need to select one that matches your needs.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE
Despite the number of applications that arrive from time to time, Java remains one of the most widely used and important programming languages ââto this day.
Many applications depend on Java on the Windows operating system and updating it means an increase in performance by giving Java applications the stability and security to run safely.
You can also install Java on Linux and macOS platforms. The only difference will be the packages / files for each platform.
Now with Windows 11 here it’s time to download Java and in today’s article we will walk you through the simple steps to install it on your device.
Which version of Java should I download?
Which Java version you download is completely up to you. If you are a beginner, the best option is to start with Java SE 8 or Java SE 11.
If you are looking to explore more features and advanced features, EE versions are more suitable for you.
Currently, Java 8 is the actively supported version, but if you choose to create and compile your own Java programs, you will need the JDK SDK.
If you are looking to download a specific Java version for different versions of Windows, you can find a similar article on how to download Java to walk you through the process.
How do I check the Java version on my device?
Before installing Java, you should first check if it is currently installed on your device and its version.
- Launch the command prompt with administrative privileges by pressing the button the Windows + R keys.
- Type cmd in the dialog box.
- To select Yes to approve the user’s control account.
- Type java -version to check if Java is installed on your computer or not.
If you get the screen below with the message Java is not recognized as an internal or external command, an operational program or a batch file, it means it is not installed on your system and you can proceed to download Java Windows 11.
If it is installed, you will get the screen below and you can proceed to remove and download another version of Java.
Do I need JRE and JDK to run Java?
JRE (Java Runtime Environment) contains a set of software tools and other components for running Java.
JRE is required when you run Java programs on your device or on your browsers as a plug-in.
JDK (Java Development Kit) contains development tools used to run Java. If you are installing JDK, you will not need JRE as it will be included in the package.
How can I download Java on Windows 11?
- Go to your browser and open the Java for Windows download page and click the X64 installationlink r.
- Your file will start to be downloaded which will be the JDK file (which includes JRE). Once done, click on it to run. If prompted with User Access Control (UAC), click Yes.
- The Java installation wizard will appear on your screen. Click on Following on the first screen.
- The next screen will ask you to confirm the installation folder. Click on Following proceed.
- Once the installation is complete, click Close.
Java is now successfully installed on your device. You can confirm by running the command prompt as shown above.
Is downloading Java free?
It’s common for developers to put a price on some of their apps, but all Java versions and updates from 8 to 13 are free.
You can download Java for free as long as it is for personal or development use only. Any other use will require a commercial license.
Do I need an Oracle account to download Java?
You do not need to log in or have an account on Oracle to download Java for Windows. Oracle will only ask you to sign in if you want to access older versions of Java which are now archived.
Java versions are now available to the public. All you need to do is go to the Oracle downloads page and start your download. Remember that you must always accept the license agreement.
Why doesn’t Java install on my PC?
Some PCs may have difficulty installing Java for several reasons. One of the most common reasons is an active firewall or antivirus software.
Windows Firewall protects your device against unauthorized access, malware, and other attacks. Such security features can prevent the installation of several programs and applications, including Java. You just need to temporarily turn off the firewall and antivirus to let it go.
Remember to re-enable the firewall and antivirus after the process is complete.
If you are having trouble downloading or installing Java on Windows 11, we hope this guide answers your questions and you can now successfully run the application without any issues.
If you want to try an updated version of Java, just follow the procedure above.
If you have encountered any other errors while downloading Java, please feel free to leave a comment below.
Start a conversation